Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Pretty disappointed

  1. #11
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pretty disappointed

    I dont disagree with you, and the situation probably wasn't handled properly, but the question maybe how many elderly or handicapped may have called saying they were in similar situations before she did. I would say they probably tried reaching them depending upon current locations and need reflected in the call to 911. Sadly Im sure there were alot of people crying WOLF about exaggerated circumstances too.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  2. #12
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pretty disappointed

    I get ya Stripes, but what got me was that no one even called her back when right at two hours had passed.
    There are a lot of eldery in this area and im sure there were tons of problems when the power went out, but I dunno, to just tell someone who was in serious need of medical attention, a true life or death situation, that there was no way to help her, no way to keep them from dying; i just lost it.

    Your last sentence sums up my thoughts; there were probably hundreds of calls about minor situations and less important matters. but when someone in dire straights calls and needs help or they would die, i just thought that would take priority over all other situations that were not life or death matters.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pretty disappointed

    I have sat here and read this and I tend to agree with Biggin. Does everyone know where the ambulances and EMT personnel were at that time? I do. They were at the overpass near the Valero redirecting traffic because the 4-lane going up to Norton was closed. I know, I tried to take my daughter to work at ST. Mary's that evening. I saw that with my own eyes.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2005
    Location
    Norton, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,249
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pretty disappointed

    Directing traffic saves lives as well man. I'm not trying to be unsympathetic guys. My good friend and co-worker's dad died Friday night because of storm complications. I just don't think you guys realize the volume of work opposed to the small group of folks doing it. I understand completely what you all are saying-the human emotion aspect of it all,but I also understand the professional aspect as well,having worked with these folks at times through my own profession. Until you do that for a living,it's very easy to "armchair quarterback". It's a whole different ballgame when you are in their boots,having 100 things at a time to do and not enough people to do it. It wasn't like these men and women were sitting at DQ sipping java. They were out busting their humps to minimize damage (and damage control is really what it is in events like this). It's just a bad situation all around when things like this happens,and it's bad because what little $ we have in SWVA gets misappropriated,and folks get pockets lined (dontcha love the word "administrative costs?). Money would be much better spent getting more staff hired (but that's another rant).
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

  5. #15
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pretty disappointed

    But, at the same time, the road was barricaded and all they were doing was sitting in the ambulance staying warm. Where these people were is literally, only a stone's throw away from where biggin lives. I'm not doing the "human" aspect of the situation, but simply the physical aspect of seeing them do nothing.

  6. #16
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pretty disappointed

    Exactly CD. They were too busy being involved in the mess on the highway to try and KEEP SOMEONE FROM DYING.

    how many times have we seen this? When something very small goes on, you'll have 30 police cars, 10 ambulances and a million other cars. But when they are really needed, they are nowhere to be found.

  7. #17
    Inactive Member Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2005
    Location
    Norton, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,249
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pretty disappointed

    Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    Exactly CD. They were too busy being involved in the mess on the highway to try and KEEP SOMEONE FROM DYING.

    how many times have we seen this? When something very small goes on, you'll have 30 police cars, 10 ambulances and a million other cars. But when they are really needed, they are nowhere to be found.
    You'll have slackers in any line of work (just the way it is),but the majority of those folks work as hard as a body can when it comes crunch time,and I've seen enough critical situations in my day to attest to that. Folks like to complain,but they don't so much like to step up to the plate,tow the line,make a difference. I'm not saying doing it for a living (because it sure isn't for everybody),but volunteer capacities are a' plenty. Those folks could use more hands. Get out and make a difference in your communities if you really care about what's going around you. I gotta head to work guys,but I do understand where you all are coming from/what you all are saying.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

  8. #18
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pretty disappointed

    Ive done my fair share of volunteer work, no need to try and guilt me.

    Like Ive said a hundred times, im not blaming any particular set of people, just the situation as a whole should have been handled differently.

  9. #19
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pretty disappointed

    I agree Biggin, this situation should have been handled differently. Especially when BSG wasn't being hit very hard at the time. Bad situation all around, hope all worked out well and hope your neighbor is ok.
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  10. #20
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pretty disappointed

    My neighbor is okay, all it took was going to the hospital and my neighbor was fine.

    The wet, damp cold weather wreacks havoc on people with asthma, and my neighbor has terrible asthma attacks that left untreated would take away a life.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •